Thursday 16 July 2009

Life so far

Hi, all,

Fully adapted now, we know Delhi better, we have been working for two weeks at our schools, monsoons have started around here... a lot of things have changed in these two weeks, and so have we, a bit, I suppose.

Last week, a lot of the conversations we were having were about how we were going to face teaching. Now, a lot of them are about what we are going to get them to do for the following week. Actually, as Olivia pointed out before, I'm surprised at how disciplined some of the kids are. I mean, I had this student the first week to whom I was teaching her first piano lesson. The following week she had already achived an almost perfect hand, arm, and body posture in relation to the piano. Another one, I had to promise to him that I would teach him for a bit longer next week because the homework that I had given him, which wasn't little for a six-year-old, was such a small challenge to him that we finished going through it all 5 minutes before the end of the lesson!

The warm welcome keeps being almost overwhelming: Jack Thomas, my contact at the school, offers me lunch at the school, treats me amazingly and he's invited all 5 of us, the Delhi-based, to a jazz concert and a jazz workshop that they are organising.

Other than that, Hannah and I have made successful contact with the Delhi Music Society and, though we have not been given a schedule yet, our activites there will include a concert, lectures on appreciation of music, masterclasses and judging this system of trial examinations they have established in order to determine whether the people who voluntarily take the board exams are actually ready for them.

Theo V, by the way, I had a conversation with the theory teacher at my school: Anjli had given your name for composition classes. I told them I'd talked to you about it. I'll give you their number.

Apart from that, if anybody is feelinf up to a bit of tourism this weekend, Theo, Hannah and I might be going to Agra this weekend, anybody joining us?

Nice to read your posts, guys,

Lots of good wishes

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment